Whole Grain Quinoa Meatballs
Have a hearty and delicious dinner with these Whole Grain Quinoa Meatballs!
Try these swaps for future meals:
- Decrease sodium by substituting in more herbs and spices for added flavor
- Substitute ketchup for no salt added tomato sauce
- Serve with brown rice instead of pasta
- 1 lb 90% or leaner ground beef or mix half ground turkey
- ¾ cup cooked quinoa (frozen or from scratch)
- ¼ cup diced onion
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ¼ cup grated zucchini
- 2 tbsp. low sugar ketchup
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp. low sodium soy sauce
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. oregano
- ¼ tsp. thyme
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. basil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients until well combined. Shape into 16 balls and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Roast until cooked through and golden brown, 15 to 17 minutes. Serve hot and portion out for later use.
(*Note: To cook quinoa, bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a small pot. Pour in ½ cup quinoa, cover and simmer until water is absorbed, 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside off of the heat for 10 minutes then fluff with a fork. Makes about 1 1/2 cups. Use 3/4 cup in this recipe, and reserve the remaining for another use.)
Per Serving (2 to 3 meatballs): 150 calories (45 from fat), 5g total fat, 2g saturated fat, 75mg cholesterol, 470mg sodium, 8g carbohydrates, (1 g dietary fiber, 2g sugar), 17g protein. Serves 6, Makes 16-18 balls.